Monday, March 26, 2012

Job Site Searching Resumes How to store and search?

I am building a generic job site and well I have hit a speed bump. I need to store resumes in the database to be searched on. Well what is the best way to store these full text resumes? so that they can be easily searched on?

SQL 2005

Sounds like an issue for full-text search. Moving to the SQL Server Database Engine forum.

|||

Depends how you receive thye resumes. If you're expecting people to type them into a web page, then full text search looks the best.

If you're going to have some mechanism that receives them as a Word document, then you could use oledb to open a word com object, and use Word's search facilities.

|||I thought about the uploading of a word document but the only way I know to ensure that someone does not try to upload a 1GB or so file and kill my bandwidth would be to use an activeX component which with the hassle behind activeX I dont know I want to go that route atleast not this early in the build possibly as an add on later down the road. So I am actually using the FCKEditor for .Net Full Text search is the way to go I guess but should I use the nvarchar(max) or some other datatype for the field in which I would be storing the file?|||SQL Server full text search can index documents such as word and excel by including a type column in the table that stores the document. This type column will contain the name of the type of document it is such as '.doc' or '.xls'. dont need to use word's own search features. The Full Text Indexing wizard makes this easy to set up.|||Ok maybe this is not the thread to ask this on then but can someone supply me with everyday mans version of how to setup full text search I will much appreciative. I am assuming now that I know nothing about it and going back to square one with this to ensure I have a firm understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment