Friday, March 30, 2012

Job/DTS Scheduled Execution

Hi all,
Just a quick question...
I have 2 DTS's - one which imports a small amount of data (about 60 rows
max), and another which imports about 20,000 rows (and will increase over
time).
I had a job running the smaller import every two minutes (as it reports real
time data) - I've added the other import to this but it would seem that the
20,000 rows will take more than 2 minutes.
I was wondering if anyone could advise as to what is likely to happen when
the job takes more than 2 minutes to run - I'm "guessing" that 2 minutes
after it started, it'll start again, and start over writing data thats only
just been written with the last import (and round and round it goes) - but
because of the nature of this, wouldn't this cause the server to overload a
bit, ie, it would be constantly starting new executions of the job whilst
the previous execution was running - or does SQL have anything inbuilt to
prevent this.
I'm thinking that my best bet would be to split these apart - have the
smaller import in one job running every two minutes, and the other in a
separate job that runs, perhaps every 5 (will have to time it I guess) ...
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Regards
RobAgent will not start a job if that job is currently executing. I.e., you wil
l not have several
instances of the same job executing at the same time. Does that answer your
question?
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
"Rob Meade" <ku.shn.tsews.thbu@.edaem.bor> wrote in message
news:uDRBiAOHGHA.3700@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
> Just a quick question...
> I have 2 DTS's - one which imports a small amount of data (about 60 rows m
ax), and another which
> imports about 20,000 rows (and will increase over time).
> I had a job running the smaller import every two minutes (as it reports re
al time data) - I've
> added the other import to this but it would seem that the 20,000 rows will
take more than 2
> minutes.
> I was wondering if anyone could advise as to what is likely to happen when
the job takes more than
> 2 minutes to run - I'm "guessing" that 2 minutes after it started, it'll s
tart again, and start
> over writing data thats only just been written with the last import (and r
ound and round it
> goes) - but because of the nature of this, wouldn't this cause the server
to overload a bit, ie,
> it would be constantly starting new executions of the job whilst the previ
ous execution was
> running - or does SQL have anything inbuilt to prevent this.
> I'm thinking that my best bet would be to split these apart - have the sma
ller import in one job
> running every two minutes, and the other in a separate job that runs, perh
aps every 5 (will have
> to time it I guess) ...
> Any info on this would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Rob
>|||hi Rob,
What about to call the second DTS from the first one? (As last task, of
course)? So this way I would keep one job no more.
"Rob Meade" wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just a quick question...
> I have 2 DTS's - one which imports a small amount of data (about 60 rows
> max), and another which imports about 20,000 rows (and will increase over
> time).
> I had a job running the smaller import every two minutes (as it reports re
al
> time data) - I've added the other import to this but it would seem that th
e
> 20,000 rows will take more than 2 minutes.
> I was wondering if anyone could advise as to what is likely to happen when
> the job takes more than 2 minutes to run - I'm "guessing" that 2 minutes
> after it started, it'll start again, and start over writing data thats onl
y
> just been written with the last import (and round and round it goes) - but
> because of the nature of this, wouldn't this cause the server to overload
a
> bit, ie, it would be constantly starting new executions of the job whilst
> the previous execution was running - or does SQL have anything inbuilt to
> prevent this.
> I'm thinking that my best bet would be to split these apart - have the
> smaller import in one job running every two minutes, and the other in a
> separate job that runs, perhaps every 5 (will have to time it I guess) ...
> Any info on this would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Rob
>
>|||"Tibor Karaszi" wrote ...

> Agent will not start a job if that job is currently executing. I.e., you
> will not have several instances of the same job executing at the same
> time. Does that answer your question?
Hi Tibor,
Yes it does - thank you :o)
Rob|||"Enric" wrote ...

> What about to call the second DTS from the first one? (As last task, of
> course)? So this way I would keep one job no more.
I could do - but of course then I'd have an even longer wait for the first
lot of info...
Cheers though.
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment