Friday, March 30, 2012

job to run a remote process

I have a question regard the scheduling of a database job. I want to run a job that executes the following steps:

1) backup an entire database from DB server A

2) restore the database on DB Sever B

3) run a non database process on Server C (with xp_cmdshell)

Step 1 and 2 are easy enough but how do I start a process on an remote machine (Step 3)?

In my case the process in step 3 is will execute a Cognos DecisionStream job (rundsjob.exe)

My environment is

SQL Server 2000.

Windows Server 2003

Paul

If you are trying to do something like run a batch file remotely, you may want to look at WMIC.

Prior to Windows 2003, you'd use RCMD. This link might help you get started:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/featusability/wmic.mspx

-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment