Friday, February 24, 2012

jet to sql

I have an access dabase, and need to do the following:

In access I dim a database and a recordset. I then use seek to find if a
record exist.
If it exist I do an edit, if it doesn't exist, I do an addnew. I think any
programmer here gets the idea.

Now, How do I do this in the sql language used with sql server. Above, this
is all done in background, no user interface.
In other words, put in plain english:

Hey database, does TRIP_ID varid exist (seek varid in other words say varid
might be 55147 or whatever here.)
if so
edit
edit record here in code, no user interface.
else
addnew
add record here no user interface. Above isn't the code, but what I'm after
in english. It all works now using DAO.
NOTE: the data is plucked from an open form and stored into a different
table . It needs done like this because another time another table is
used. Trust me, it has to be seperate, not stored in same table open form
is based on. Key billing info is retrieved into a seperate table from more
than one source table. Please don't respond with using one table only.

I saw no seek or find commands in sql.

thanks, a long time programmer who got stumped.[posted and mailed, please reply in news]

JIMMIE WHITAKER (kpsklab@.worldnet.att.net) writes:
> Hey database, does TRIP_ID varid exist (seek varid in other words say
> varid might be 55147 or whatever here.)
> if so
> edit
> edit record here in code, no user interface.
> else
> addnew
> add record here no user interface. Above isn't the code, but what I'm
> after in english. It all works now using DAO.

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE keycol = @.keyval)
BEGIN
UPDATE tbl
SET col1 = @.newval1,
col2 = @.newval2,
...
FROM tbl
WHERE keycol = @.keyval
END
ELSE
BEGIN
INSERT tbl (keycol, col1, col2, ...)
VALUES (@.keyval, @.newval1, @.newval2, ...)

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment